Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Little Positive Reinforcement Goes a Long Way...

I've taught 22 years now, and personally I don't think you can ever have too many tricks in your bag or up your sleeve to promote positive classroom behaviors!  I'm always looking for new things to implement, so I thought I'd start with something I witnessed in my own school from a teacher friend!  Her class would walk by my room and every now and then I'd see one of the kids with a badge on their shirt.  It looked like a nametag, but it wasn't.  It was a compliment he/she had received from the teacher.  One day I stopped a student with one on and up close it said "STAR STUDENT-I received a compliment for completing the morning routine on time!"     I gave my big dramatic, "WOW!" "Look at you...getting your morning routine done quickly today!"  This student couldn't have smiled any bigger when I said that!  I begin to wonder how many other teachers, parents, workers in the building, and/or the principal might have helped reinforce this child's positive behavior that day too! 


This teacher was generous enough to share this idea with our whole staff, so I began tweaking to fit my own classroom needs.  "What behaviors did I want to see MOST from my kiddos?"  This FREEBIE  is what I came up with!  Feel free to grab and use in your own classroom.  I even left a few sheets blank in case you wanted to write in your own "wish list" for a positive classroom environment.  I still plan to use my regular behavior system and classroom coupons on Fridays, but I'm adding this to my plan this year!  We'll see how it goes!  


Teachers-If you see a kid with one of these compliments on somewhere in your building, make a point to say something to them.  I promise it'll make their day!  :-)























Bananas for positive reinforcement with kids,