One final poser and I'll move on from this topic.
You discover something about a key supplier of yours that you didn't know before. He employs child labour.
1) Stop buying from him even though it may affect your business
2) Report his employing child labour to the authorities, but continue to buy from him
3) Ignore this, saying its his business and none of yours
If you work for a global company, you probably have no choice - NGOs will roast your company alive. (Remember Nike in China ?)
But , assume you are in a small local company. What will you do ?
Would your answer be different, if instead of discovering that he employs child labour, you discover one of the following
- He is cheating on VAT (excise, sales tax, whatever) and evading them , or,
- He is discriminating against women
Would your answer be the same ?